One with Oneself

Dr. Rajesh Bhola
India
May 03, 2013




Benjamin Franklin commented on the difficult path to self-discovery: “There are three things extremely hard - steel, a diamond, and to know one’s self.” One learns a lot by studying oneself - particularly the feelings that influence one’s thoughts, and motivate one’s actions. Pope wrote a poem that began thus: “Know then thyself, presume not God to scan, the proper study of mankind is Man.” Syllogistically, understanding oneself would also enable one to better understand others.

Can one really know oneself? Is one ever somebody? When will I ever see that Am that I Am? Scores of poets and philosophers dedicated their lives to enquiring about the Self and trying to understand its elusive mysteries. Some attained remarkable results, as attested by the legacy of their works; others remained thirsty. Every thinking human being feels that “I have an inner self of whom I am ignorant. Who is the real I, where does he hide from Me? How and what—if at all He is—I have never discovered, although for the whole of my life I have been looking for him”. 

One of my neuroscientist friends told me that “we are on the verge of a breakthrough in the understanding of self, thanks to neuroimaging, neurochemistry and neurogenetics; that Man, haughty Man, will no longer be a mystery to himself. The heart of all our mysteries will soon open, and we will be able to understand and control certain human habits”. It is difficult even to conceive what a scientific understanding of self would look like. Another friend, a psychologist, told me that his patients often ask him, ‘Doctor, why am I like this?’ or ‘Why do I do the things I do?’ 

Finding oneself is a journey…not a destination. A lot of it is trial and error;  more often than not, one hits a bump on the road, or falls flat on one’s face. One must be prepared to understand and accept that this is a part of a process, and commit to getting up and starting over. The Gita tells us about seeking the self. Responding to Arjuna’s confusion and moral dilemma on fighting his cousins, Lord Krishna explains to Arjuna his duties as a warrior and prince, and also the different ways in which the soul can discover self, and reach the Supreme Being: “Wake up! Be thyself! The glory of the Self is beheld by few. The Self is un-manifested, beyond all thought, beyond all change. This is true knowledge - to seek the self as the true end of wisdom always. To seek anything else is ignorance”.

One must resist the urge to feel unique in going through this dilemma of discovering oneself. In Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison summed this up well: “All my life I had been looking for something, and everywhere I turned someone tried to tell me what it was. I accepted their answers too, though they were often in contradiction and even self-contradictory. I was naive. I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer. It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my expectations, to achieve a realization everyone else appears to have been born with: that I am nobody but myself.”

“Who am I?” This question is not static. One should continue to ask this of oneself throughout one’s life. It updates one’s understanding of who one is, and how one changes. One must take time out for oneself, to introspect. In solitude, one should feel independent and self-sufficient – not lonely, needy or afraid. Every person needs time alone – whether one is introverted or extroverted, single or in a relationship, young or old. Solitude is time for rejuvenation and a talk with self – for trying to attain peace, and for realizing that purposeful “aloneness” is a liberating part of one’s overall existence. As long as one continues to exist just to fulfill other people’s ideas of who one should be, one will never know who one really is. By all means listen to others and learn from them, but let the final choices, decisions and acceptances be one’s own.

Mahatma Gandhi once said that the best way to find 'you' is to lose yourself in the service of others”. Just introspecting, and not reaching out to others, can cause you to navel-gaze and shut yourself off from the world. Most people who have made a great contribution in life have gone through a period of disenchantment – a time in the wilderness – during which they came to know themselves better; they not only came to terms with the defeats in their little stories, but also found their place in the big ones. When you know yourself closely, know your potential, you can unleash huge energy. Remove the lid of your ego and find the clear waters below: a vast source, a sea of energy, which can be tapped for living a wholesome, constructive and satisfying life. 

Our busy lives are keeping us out of touch with ourselves. Do take a look inside. If needed, do introduce yourself to your own self. Do not exercise your mind in knowing others. First, know yourself well – learn to be 'one with oneself'.

Dr. Rajesh Bhola is President of Spastic Society of Gurgaon and is working for the cause of children with autism, cerebral palsy, mental retardation and multiple disabilities for more  than 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment